[CQ-Contest] Single ops and Internet

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Single ops and Internet
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Mon Feb 26 18:32:22 2001
 > As a refresher, here are the rules for the single operator category in the
 > two major DX contests:
 >
 > ARRL rules just say this:
 >
 > 2.1. Single Operator: One person performs all transmitting, receiving,
 > spotting, and logging functions as well as equipment and antenna
 > adjustments.
 >
 > 2.1.1. Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements
 > involving
 > other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, Internet, etc) is not
 > permitted.
 >
 > The CQ version is this:
 >
 > 1. Single Operator High: Those stations at which one person
 > performs all of
 > the operating, logging, and spotting functions. The use of DX alerting
 > assistance of any kind places the station in the Single Operator Assisted
 > category.
 >
 > ===
 >
 > Both specifically prohibit Internet although there is some room for
 > interpretation.  I am interested in the opinions of the contest community
 > because I may have been hurting myself with my interpretation of this.

I disagree, Randy.

I read it as saying "spotting assistance" or "spotting...nets" are not
permitted...anywhere.

Also, the acquisition of other, non-spotting, information, whether from the
Internet or other means, is not mentioned, so it must be okay....just as
long as it's not spotting information.

73,
dale, kg5u