[CQ-Contest] Single ops and Internet

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Single ops and Internet
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon Feb 26 21:20:30 2001
At 12:41 PM 2/26/01 -0000, Randy Thompson, K5ZD wrote:

 >As a refresher, here are the rules for the single operator category in the
 >two major DX contests:
 >
 >ARRL rules just say this:
 >
 >2.1. Single Operator: One person performs all transmitting, receiving,
 >spotting, and logging functions as well as equipment and antenna
 >adjustments.
 >
 >2.1.1. Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements involving
 >other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, Internet, etc) is not
 >permitted.
 >
 >The CQ version is this:
 >
 >1. Single Operator High: Those stations at which one person performs all of
 >the operating, logging, and spotting functions. The use of DX alerting
 >assistance of any kind places the station in the Single Operator Assisted
 >category.
 >
 >===
 >
 >Both specifically prohibit Internet although there is some room for
 >interpretation.  I am interested in the opinions of the contest community
 >because I may have been hurting myself with my interpretation of this.

Randy, I think you are being too stringent here.  Neither sponsor prohibits
use of the Internet per se.  ARRL prohibits "spotting assistance or nets."
CQ prohibits "DX alerting assistance."  To me looking up solar flux numbers
on the internet is no different than reading W3ASK's column in CQ or using
VOACAP to project openings.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database