[CQ-Contest] Watch that main radio while SO2R...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Watch that main radio while SO2R...
From: n3bb@mindspring.com (Jim George)
Date: Sun Mar 4 17:43:04 2001
Interesting issue that is getting more and more relevant with SO2R and the
competitive pressure for multipliers.  I lost my run frequencies several
times on the ARRL CW weekend when I moved off to move another station, and
there were several times that we moved twice for three banders.  When I got
back, the frequency usually was still OK, but 10-20% of the time another
station had picked it up and I had lost it.  Fortunately, on CW, run freqs
are easier to find.  They are tougher to replace and more valuable on SSB!

Personally, I will not contest losing a freq in these circumstances when I
was the one to have left the run frequency.  It's part of the competitive
trade off.  On the other hand, if I have found a freq and the former
"owner" returns after I am established, it's mine, and I will not release
it if it is clear to me that I did due-diligence.  If the former "owner"
wants to fight it out, then the station with the better propagation/antenna
will win.  However I have found that once you are a veteran, and know a lot
of the guys, they will honor the fact that you are there.  If I tell the
station that "sorry Joe, I have been here two minutes and have made four
QSOs. The freq is in use."  That works 90% of the time.  If the other
station is a poor sport, and wants to take it under those circumstances,
that's considered poor sportsmanship, and the bigger names usually don't
allow that to happen.  I have reported a couple of bad apples to the big
M/Ms and they usually take care of this conduct.

Jim

Interesting incident during the ARRL Phone on 15m early this morning.