[CQ-Contest] Contesting - Better Than the Internet!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting - Better Than the Internet!
From: K4ZW@Staffnet.com (Ken Claerbout)
Date: Sat Mar 10 20:19:02 2001
   Here's a good one for the contesting community.  Our local newspaper had
an article about Brooke Point High School in Stafford, Virginia and their
participation in a recent contest.  The article included a picture of
several students sitting around the radio with a YL operating.  They went on
to say that "with the Internet, anyone with access can now chat with others
across the world.  But students said they thought amateur radio was MORE
fun."  One of the students was quoted as saying "it's pretty cool to have a
voice contact with someone in New Foundland."
     Often we see comments about how our beloved hobby is dying a slow death.
Granted there is some cause for concern but one has to wonder how many more
Brooke Point's are out there.  These students are fortunate enough to have a
teacher interested in our hobby and willing to take the time to share it
with them.  What a great opportunity for myself and others in the local PVRC
chapter to reach out and recruit some new blood.

73
Ken K4ZW