[CQ-Contest] Ionospheric heating

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Ionospheric heating
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 4 20:16:39 2001
In a message dated 4/3/2001 18:01:52 Eastern Daylight Time,
w8ji@contesting.com writes:

 >   > You can always try it, and see for yourself, get on with some DX right
 >   > after the contest, and see how long signals last at the certain level,
 >   > and when they start dropping rapidly. Do the same test at other, non
 >   > contest days, at the same time, with similar propagation and see what
 >   > signals levels you will experience and if you get the same phenomena.
 >   > Just try to add up all contest stations with perpetual CQing, multiply
 >   > by number of (Italian :-) watts and see how much energy you will come
 >   > up with. You might be amazed. Then you tell us if it only happens on
 >   > April 1st.
 >   >
 >   > If you need more proof and info check
 >   > http://server5550.itd.nrl.navy.mil/projects/haarp/
 >
 >  I was going to respond with a nice article about using my stacked push-pull
 >  Razor beams to generate my own propagation, but then I looked at the date.
 >
 >  Since this not the first, I assume you are serious. If you are serious, you
 >  are wrong.

Here we go again, people reading, what was not written, must be them liberal
educational institutions :-)

Did I say anything about Razors?  Have you read carefully the first sentence?
Have you tried the described experiment?

I am not talking about ME heating the "ionosphere" (maybe just a very
little), but the multitude of kilokilowats during the contests. I am not the
first or only one who noticed the "conditioning" of frequencies during the
contests.

Sheesh, if it wasn't written up by Dr. Soandso nor proclaimed by Mr. Rauch it
can't be so? Maybe there are people who know something you don't know yet Tom
:-)
Looks like fourth egg in the face coming up?

You are so good with dBs and math and antennas. Here is the question.
What would be the real life, on the band (10m) difference between these two
antennas:

1. 4-square, bases at .5 m above salty ground, quarter wave radiators, each
having one 1/4 wave elevated radial going out on diagonal, sloping down to
abt 20 cm at the ground. Using Comtek hybrid phasing unit, beaming Europe.

2. 3 el. cubical quad on .4 wave boom, square configuration, boom half wave
up, also over salty ground, no baluns, dual polarization (3 dB loss?) also
beaming Europe.

They are both presenting 50 ohm impedance and are fed with the same
rig/power. What would be the difference between those two antennas to
receiving stations in Europe? What does the modeling software and books say?
What is the reality, which antenna is better?

BTW have you checked W4RNL studies on quads, dual log feeds? Not exactly
"folklore" Eh? And he didn't get to the benefit of combining Yagi and Quad
elements in the array yet. Have you changed your opinion on that stuff yet?

Tom, you picking on wrong guy, I have not "learned" this stuff from the books
and software, I have experienced it. You can too, it is repeatable. Try it
you might like it and learn something too.

73  Yuri, K3BU