[CQ-Contest] Does Dayton hurt the WPX CW Contest?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Does Dayton hurt the WPX CW Contest?
From: k4bai@worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Wed Apr 18 10:36:17 2001
Hi Derek:  My XYL and I were married on CQWW weekend in 1974.  She knew it.
She picked the date because neither Georgia, Georgia Tech, nor Auburn had
home football games that Saturday.   I only got to operate the first twelve
hours or so of that one.  We arrived in Jamaica for our honeymoon while the
contest was still on.  I had the telephone number of my buddies K4SHB (now
N4TO) and W4DQS (now W4QM) where they were operating 6Y5BF, but I had the
good sense not to call them when we arrived.  Since that time, I have missed
most of our anniversaries and most Thanksgivings due to a trip to Curacao,
Haiti, Dominica, or Barbados for  CQWW CW.  And she doesn't complain a lot.
But she doesn't really like (most) hams or (most) ham events.  I consider
myself very lucky at that.  73, John, K4BAI/8P9HT.  P.S.  She went with me to
Curacao in 1979 for a M/M operation as PJ2CC and has refused to go on any ham
trip since.  (I thought "we" had a very good time in Curacao that year!)