[CQ-Contest] USA WRTC 2002 Team Selections

Subject: [CQ-Contest] USA WRTC 2002 Team Selections
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher W4AN)
Date: Tue May 15 13:18:52 2001

>Couldn't disagree more with you, Jeff. This is not a "touchy fealy" feel
>good event. It is a world championship contest. You enter to win and to
>win we enter the best competitors that we have. Period.

>73, Bruce K1MY

Hi Bruce,

I'll have to say that I respectfully disagree with your opinion on this
one.  I think this event is a great excuse to get together with contest
friends from around the world.

Based on what I saw in SF, I would suggest that station QTH and capability
will still figure largely in the outcome of this event.  I'm absolutely
100% sure that if K4BAI and I would have had the N6TR/N5KO QTH, we would
have been left in the lower ranks of the results.  Probably not even top
50%.

Many guys who would be on my list to go probably won't get the chance.
They do multi-ops or single bands.  Great ops, that just don't have the
opportunity to do SOAB from a big station.  That doesn't mean they can't
cut the mustard in this competition.  I'll bet N3RS and N3RD could put it
to just about any two man team you can name.  But neither would qualify
based on the selection criteria that only took in to account single-ops.
How is that fair?

Don't let the SOAB category be the soul criteria for qualifications as an
operator.

As for the guys who have been 2 and 3 times...   I don't understand
needing try a 3rd and 4th time.  But if they are the most qualified, then
they should be going.

73

Bill, W4AN