[CQ-Contest] USA WRTC 2002 Team Selections

Subject: [CQ-Contest] USA WRTC 2002 Team Selections
From: hwardsil@WOLFENET.com (Ward Silver)
Date: Tue May 15 13:23:04 2001
 > > On the other hand, we are not selecting our team, the OH gang is.
 > > They, apparently, will rely on our input, but We are NOT selecting
 > > OUR representatives to the WRTC. This I don't like.
 > >
 > > Best regards de K8Joe"Palooka" & Beverly
 >
 > I was surprised to learn of this also. I see absolutely no reason that
 > the OH gang should have this authority.
 >
 > But, the only way I see to change this is for the US to boycott the
 > WRTC until contesters in the US select our teams. Or are they trying
 > to imply they know better than our own?
 >
 > 73
 > Ed

Sounds like a volunteer to organize WRTC-2004 to me...

Speaking as an organizer of or referee in all three WRTC events, I think
the Finns should do whatever it is that they consider reasonable.  There
have only been three prior events, so I don't think we know what works on
a long-term basis as far as selection goes.  Maybe by WRTC-2020, but not
yet. For any method that is used, there are a number of valid criticisms
of it that should be aired so that we can observe cause-and-effect.

Thus far we have had selection-by-invitation, selection-by-nomination, and
selection-by-rating.  I don't think there is any demonstrable correlation
between success and method. (except asking the last champs to come back,
which apparently works pretty well)  We don't all even agree as to whether
this is a World Championship or an All-Star Game!

These are experienced contesters and they think this method will work.
They deserve the chance to give it a try.  Certainly not without questions
and challenges - go for it - but suggesting a boycott is a little over the
top.  This is how we learn, guys...

73, Ward N0AX