[CQ-Contest] Penalty Blather!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Penalty Blather!
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Mon May 21 22:49:17 2001
In a message dated 5/21/01 1:36:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
timo.klimoff@kolumbus.fi writes:

 >  I agree. After paying attention more to copying the right calls we have
 > noticed a new problem : station worked does not log us! And this is very
 > common despite from your side QSO was 100% and opposite station "acted"
like
 > it was 100% in his log.
 >  I wonder if this phenomenon has something to do with real-time computer
 > logging? Maybe some operators are not skillful enough with computers when
 > they are tired?
 >  When you have recorded your contest it is very interesting to check your
UBN
 > list afterwards. From there you can notice how common this phenomenon is.
 >
 >  73, Timo OH1NOA
 >  OH1F contest gang

That was whole point of my questioning the 3 QSO penalty. I typically found
about 30 % of my "errors" not of my doing, but the other station, but I get
penalized like a criminal for being "sloppy" and I should "learn my lesson"
and be more accurate. But the UBN "bosses" call the shots, and we can either
take it, or shove it. Time to do tape recording whole contest and keep the
evidence?
You wanna see what the difference between the records for pre-UBN era and now
is? Check the claimed vs. final scores for those years and you might be
surprised.

I vote for just taking the defective QSOs out and I vote for 1 point for
domestic QSOs in CQ WW.  If we keep repeating and arguing, maybe someone will
see the light (for betterment of contesting).

Oh well, good thing its only a hobby (just why do we bother putting up
antennas and staying up for 48 hours :-)

73 Yuri