[CQ-Contest] WheeRU: Sheesh!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WheeRU: Sheesh!
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri Jun 29 10:11:00 2001
On 6/25/01 8:20 PM, M. Durham at wt1s@monad.net wrote:

>So...it wouldn't be too far a stretch to say that M/M K1ABC 'chatting' with
>M/M K1XYZ on packet and exchanging frequencies etc.  would also 'fall' into
>the category of self spotting...

Or, how about:

I'm at the NQ4I M/M, working 20m. Someone calls in. Things are slow, I
say, "Please work us on 21.305 and 28.457."

Is that "self-spotting"?

No. It is called Multipler or QSO passing.

>Thought provoking yes...but no more a threat to the SINGLE OP GENRE' than dx
>spotting repeaters of the 70's and early 80's or PacketCluster spotting
>networks through wireless or internet connectivity.

Use of spotting networks was prohibited in the 70s (if not earlier), and
the rise of the packet cluster and other electronic spotting networks
lead to rule changes and new categories.

Seems like this WhereRU idea falls into the same category as the packet
cluster. And it is generally recognized that self-spotting on such
spotting networks is unethical, if not outright prohibited. Since WhereRU
can do nothing but self-spotting, that would seem to place it in a very
questionable position.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901