[CQ-Contest] WRTC & SCP

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WRTC & SCP
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri Jun 29 10:11:02 2001
On 6/21/01 3:18 PM, Bill Fisher W4AN at w4an@contesting.com wrote:

>I was pondering this WRTC thing on the red-eye back to Atlanta last night,
>and I was thinking about the fact that Super Check Partial is banned from
>WRTC, but not from ANY other contest.
>
>This would suggest that "we" believe SCP to not help determine the skill
>of an operator.  Yes?

Bill,

I think it depends on how you define SCP. a) If SCP merely does a check
on stations that are already IN YOUR LOG, then I don't see a problem with
it. It is merely a memory aide for stations you've already worked.

However, b) if SCP means that it checks stations in some sort of "master"
callsign database, that would seem to cloud the operator skill issue.

We already allow duplicate checking to be performed by the logging
software. Wouldn't it show more operating skill to not allow software dup
checking?

Definition a) is merely a "fuzzy" duplicate check. b) is something else.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901