[CQ-Contest] Eye Strain

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Eye Strain
From: bjk@ihug.co.nz (Barry Kirkwood)
Date: Sat Jun 30 12:36:52 2001
Interesting topic:
There is no simple answer and authorities do not agree.
The classic rule of thumb distinguishes between local (task) lighting and
general lighting of a space.
In the case of radio operating the situation is complicated because back lit
dials and computer screens are involved as well as needing task lighting for
writing.
All of these have different lighting standards.
Also remember that bright lighting helps you stay awake, and vice versa.
The idea of changing the lighting during a long operating session has merit,
although I don't think there is much science on this point.
I would suggest ramping the light up as you get tired.
There is also evidence that taking a "long view" every so often helps reduce
fatigue. Time out looking at the sky or the scenery might help.
73

end
Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD
Signal Hill Homestay