[CQ-Contest] Eye Strain

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Eye Strain
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 22:56:14 2001
In a message dated 6/29/01 9:17:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, bjk@ihug.co.nz
writes:

> nteresting topic:
>  There is no simple answer and authorities do not agree.
>  The classic rule of thumb distinguishes between local (task) lighting and
>  general lighting of a space.
>  In the case of radio operating the situation is complicated because back
lit
>  dials and computer screens are involved as well as needing task lighting
for
>  writing.
>  All of these have different lighting standards.

One thing to remember, for those of us who have to wear glasses, stronger,
brighter lights increase the focal focusing range, due to eyes irises opening
being smaller. This is why I prefer glasses with focal point matched to the
radio gear arranged in arch, at the same distance from the eyes. That gives
me sharp picture of all the important faces, screens and dials. Unimportant
stuff gets fuzzy and dont bother me :-)

Those days when I could operate by the warm glow of dials are gone.

Yuri, K3BU