[CQ-Contest] Cw Speeds in Contests Not "ROTTEN OPERATING"

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cw Speeds in Contests Not "ROTTEN OPERATING"
From: windev@inetmarket.com (Gerry Hull)
Date: Fri Jan 4 08:35:47 2002
Hey Gang,

This, again, is a most-intesting topic.  However, I believe it has
nothing to do with "ROTTEN OPERATING"...

I hated CW when I went to get my license in Canada 26 years ago.  I
failed the 10wpm CW test...

We moved to the US in '75, I passed the 5wpm test, did a lil ragchewing
on 40m, but mostly I pushed myself in CD Partys, SS and other contests.
Like others, I would spend mucho time listening to stations in order to
get their call/exchange, etc.  That easily got me about 20 wpm and far
beyond. CW has been my favorite mode for years.

Heck, even in Field Day, I QRS a lot, but in general can QRQ and get
great rate, and many stns sending at 18 are copying me at 30 or whatever.

If you're a CW contest newbie, perhaps your personal challenge should be
to increase your CW speed. Like Tom and others have commented, start
with something other than ARRL DX or CQWW.

73,

Gerry, W1VE/VE1RM