[CQ-Contest] ROTTEN OPERATING

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ROTTEN OPERATING
From: frenaye@pcnet.com (Tom Frenaye)
Date: Thu Jan 3 21:20:45 2002
At 01:13 AM 1/4/2002 +0000, KC5AJX wrote:
>... I read that you want to get new blood into the CW contests.

One thing missing from the discussion about CW speeds is that CQWW is a
top-of-the-line contest.   You don't teach people how to contest or how to copy
well during CQWW - similarly you don't teach people how to drive, or how to
drive a race car at the Indy 500.

Most people who have succeeded in contesting got their start by operating the
"less visible" events - those where rates are slower and QRM is much less.   I
know I grew up operating a lot of state QSO parties and other events, plus
operating in multi-ops where I could listen, watch and learn from those who had
more experience.   Taught me an awful lot.   I still wasn't ready to win the
Indy 500.

So, I don't find it hard to believe, and accept, that many people will be
scared off by the CQWW or other intensely competitive events.   After all, the
first time I saw a car whizzing by on the street, I never wanted to cross it at
all.   I learned how though.

                -- Tom

e-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com    YCCC --> http://www.yccc.org/
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box J, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444