[CQ-Contest] [book] parameters

Subject: [CQ-Contest] [book] parameters
From: k6xx@juno.com (Bob Wolbert)
Date: Fri Jan 25 08:26:57 2002
Jeff,

The following suggestions are meant in a positive light from a guy who
has done similar projects...

I strongly believe that charging ANY money for this document will
severely reduce its readership.

As suggested previously, posting a PDF on a web site provides the best of
both worlds: free distribution, with paper copy available (if you print
it yourself). The PDF format allows a good compromise between machine
readability and printing if you use the proper layout.

[more follows]

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:56:59 -0800 Jeff Stai WK6I <wk6i@twistedoak.com>
writes:

> In order of preference, here how this book will be published:
>
>  1. published as a bound paperback by a recognized publishing house.

Problem: long lead time, long negotiation time, very large runs required,
updates difficult because of all-of-the-above. Result: high fixed cost
(risk) and outdated material.

>  2. published as a bound paperback by a boutique publishing house,
> or
> self-published.

High per-copy costs. Self-published involves large commitment of time on
part of the 'self-printer'. Time required is not bounded either--its
never "finished".

>  3. self-published as a spiral bound notebook, option to download PDF.

Spiral bound? How about three-hole punched for a binder? This would work
if the proper page layout is used. I recommend a horizontal format, which
is easier to read on-screen and not much (if any) harder than the normal
vertical format on paper.

> Physical sizes: a medium sized "trade paperback", QST-sized font
> (maybe
> larger), single column (maybe double).

Single column is much preferred for anything read on-line. Lowest
printing cost for small-run material is 8.5 x 11 inches--and this size
also fits into a standard binder.

> Purchase price: It must at least pay for itself. A small profit is
> good - I  propose that any profits be directed to a good cause, and we
will
> discuss this and agree amongst the major contributors at a later time.
>
> thanks - 73 - jeff wk6i

WARNING WARNING!!! How would we EVER decide on such a "good cause"? This
is a great idea, but unfortunately its pretty much unworkable, especially
after the printing is done. (Just imagine all the arguments this could
create). If it must be sold, we'd better decide who would get any excess
beforehand, and the time frame for such monetary distribution.

If it must be printed (only), I bet (actually, I _know_) we could find a
few sponsors to cover the printing/postage costs. But then we'd have to
have someone do the grunt work of packaging and mailing... Much easier to
use electronic distribution, isn't it?!

73 de Bob, K6XX
k6xx@arrl.net
www.k6xx.com