[CQ-Contest] [book] parameters

Subject: [CQ-Contest] [book] parameters
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 11:57:31 2002
In a message dated 1/25/02 8:38:25 AM Pacific Standard Time, k6xx@juno.com
writes:

> > Purchase price: It must at least pay for itself. A small profit is
>  > good - I  propose that any profits be directed to a good cause, and we
>  will
>  > discuss this and agree amongst the major contributors at a later time.
>  >
>  > thanks - 73 - jeff wk6i
>  >
>  >

>  WARNING WARNING!!! How would we EVER decide on such a "good cause"? This
>  is a great idea, but unfortunately its pretty much unworkable, especially
>  after the printing is done. (Just imagine all the arguments this could
>  create). If it must be sold, we'd better decide who would get any excess
>  beforehand, and the time frame for such monetary distribution.

    I think that someone or something should 'own' the book and actually make
a small profit on it. The profit could be used to 1) advertise and promote
the books availability , i.e. banner ads on www.contesting.com and eham and
B) allow other  distribution; i.e. send a free copy to all US radio clubs.

>  If it must be printed (only), I bet (actually, I _know_) we could find a
>  few sponsors to cover the printing/postage costs. But then we'd have to
>  have someone do the grunt work of packaging and mailing... Much easier to
>  use electronic distribution, isn't it?!

    I want it in real live book form. It's much easier than downloading a
hundred or two pages and then printing them but that's just me.

    If someone or something does own the book, then they can do the grunt
work and reap some of the benefits. Having a committee or similar means to me
that everything gets watered down and very little gets done with decisions
taking lots of time. Since Jeff is proposing to be the "editor" of this
thing, I trust his judgement to make the necessary decisions. Everyone will
have an opinion on the resulting book but the point is to get *something* out
there that is a benefit to our target audience and helps to accomplish our
goals.

    If YOU don't like the result, YOU can always do a book of your own. More
contesting books is a GOOD thing.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech