[CQ-Contest] NCJ circulation - Why decreasing?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] NCJ circulation - Why decreasing?
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon Jan 28 08:45:48 2002
At 06:47 AM 1/28/02 -0500, k4ww wrote:

>Tom Frenaye frenaye@pcnet.com wrote: "I'm told that a couple of the last few
>issues of the NCJ were 40 pages instead of 48 pages because there were not
>enough good articles submitted to choose from."
>
>And how is one to determine if the are "good" or not, if they aren't
>published? Personally, I would rather have the option of not reading what is
>published, than having someone make that decision for me!
>Shelby, K4WW

Unfortunately, I've had the sense that the last few issues have been padded
even to arrive at the size they are.  The few technical articles have
tended to belabor obvious issues at unnecessary length, while many of the
columns seem overlapping and repetitive to me.  Looking back over 15 years
of old NCJs, it's painfully clear the extent to which the internet has
supplanted NCJ as a channel for the dissemination of good contest-relevant
technical information.  After all, if you could expose a good idea to
thousands of readers right now, instead of waiting 6 months to reach 2500,
which would you choose?

If Dennis is reading this, I hope this is taken as constructive criticism.
I certainly mean it that way.  And I acknowledge that it's a vicious circle
-- how can NCJ attract more readers unless more people submit interesting
material for publication?

73, Pete N4ZR

Sometimes a tower is
just a tower