[CQ-Contest]: NA Sprint Plaques

Subject: [CQ-Contest]: NA Sprint Plaques
From: tree@kkn.net (Tree N6TR)
Date: Mon Feb 11 15:25:41 2002

KU8E writes:

>  Maybe Tree can answer this question ????
>
>  Are plaques still awarded to the overall winner of the NA Sprint ??
> I didn't see any mention of awards , at least on the NCJ website
> version of the rules. I seem to remember some past Dayton Hamvention
> contest forums where some NA Sprint plaques were awarded....
>
> Now that we have a HP,LP,and QRP classes in the Sprint I think the
> opportunity exists where plaques could be awarded to the overall
> winners
> in these cataegories along with the top team scores. Also it would be
> nice to keep track of the LP and QRP state records as well.
>
>  Maybe this might help to improve activity in the Sprints ?? After all
> isn't the LP category the most popular category in SS and many of the
> ARRL sponsored contests ???

Plaques have not been awarded for about 10 years now.  Jeff was
running out of wall space.

We have been doing other things to try an encourage more activity,
and I would have to say at this point, they seem to be working
sufficiently well.  At most, there would be 3 plaques awarded
anyway - and I doubt the guys winning the high power category
are doing it just for the hardwood.

We are looking at getting the awards flowing again - at least
the certificates which have been missing for over 5 years.

However, as I said - this contest seems to be pretty healthy
without them.

K7SS suggested we have LP and QRP listings of the records.  This
might be a good idea and is being considered.

Tree