Fwd: Re: [CQ-Contest] Polling

Subject: Fwd: Re: [CQ-Contest] Polling
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed Feb 13 16:25:12 2002
At 12:53 PM 2/13/02 -0500, Tom Frenaye wrote:
> From the survey appendix: "The survey sample of 1200 was selected in
systematic, stratified fashion..."   It only included licensed, domestic
(USA) members.  "Responses have been weighted in tabulation to accurately
reflect true population proportions."  The weighting was by license class
reported in the FCC database.

>No attempt was made to adjust weighting based on anything else (age, years
licensed, hours on the air, type of activity, etc).

This raises an interesting point -- what percentage of the licensed
amateurs in the US, by license class, are active?  I remember that years
ago, there seemed to be a very large share of the Novice/Tech licensees
that were not active.

Also, was there a voluntary response component in the survey, or was it
done by telephone or some other means that would tend to remove this factor?

Is the full survey, including the appendix, available to members, on the
web or otherwise?

73, Pete N4ZR

Sometimes a tower is
just a tower