[CQ-Contest] I watch with interest, but with great sadness

Subject: [CQ-Contest] I watch with interest, but with great sadness
From: kr6x@kr6x.com (Leigh S. Jones, KR6X)
Date: Thu Feb 14 16:59:39 2002
First of all, I'd like to apologize for putting Jim Maxwell on the spot with
this one, he shouldn't have to be the only one taking the heat for this.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand me.  My attachment is to contesting,
not to DXCC.  I work plenty of DX by my standards, but I don't collect QSL
cards, and I don't count up my countries anymore, except when countries
count as multipliers.  My discussion of the way that the DXCC was
endangered with cutbacks was an extension of the discussion of cutbacks
in contest coverage in QST.

However, any proposal to cut back on operating events and activities that
are sponsored by the ARRL concerns me because of the huge changes
that are underway in demographics of the amateur radio population at
present, and the consequences that I foresee.

Re-reading my original post, I can see that I wasn't quite cautious enough
to separate the actions actually taken by the Board of Directors from the
dangers to the DXCC program.  As you can see by Jim's post, the Board
has not taken any action to eliminate the DXCC.

This does not provide the assurance that the program is not in danger
of serious changes as were reported to me last year by my director.

Jim points out:
"The ARRL BOD certainly does look at all options.
They would be derelict if they didn't.  The Board
has the fiduciary responsibility to make certain that
the League is operated in a financially responsible
manner.  Lots of ideas are discussed, most of which
are discarded after discussion."

Perhaps what was reported to me last year was simply an exercise taken
by the board out of fiduciary responsibility.  But it was very clear when
the
SW Division director report last year that the idea of cutting back or
cutting
off the DACCA due to its failure to pay for itself was still on the table.
don't share Jim Maxwell's rosy outlook on the future of DACCA since last
year.  It still appears very much "on the table" to me, and in need of our
aid.
And that is clearly the state of contesting as well as has previously been
reported here.  I hope Jim's presence on the board will have the effect we
desire -- he is an advocate for our interest group who deserves our full
support.

But even if guys like Jim filled all of the board positions the danger
wouldn't be eliminated.  Sometimes it's not enough to be optimistic and
well intentioned.  It's going to take more than a smile to keep the ARR.
afloat, and the future of ham radio hangs in the balance.