[CQ-Contest] New Club Area Definition

Subject: [CQ-Contest] New Club Area Definition
From: wd4ahz@gte.net (Ron Wetjen)
Date: Mon Mar 4 15:35:45 2002
Pete Smith wrote:

> I've been surprised by how little (like no) comment there has been on
> the changes to the club competition rules.  Most of them are all to
> the good, but I'm perplexed by the change in the club area.

<snip>

> It seems to me that this change will have little, if any, practical
> effect.  In the densely populated areas, ARRL sections are smaller
> than the 175-mile circle, while out in the center of the country,
> clubs are drawing their circles to encompass as many population
> centers as possible.

Off the top of my head, the only ones I can see being helped, are the
good folks of Tennessee, since their 175-mile circle doesn't cover the
whole state ... but of course, the section definition would solve that
problem for them nicely.

> Meanwhile, in Florida, where Florida Contest Group's plight did a lot
> to raise the issue in the first place, the new rule brings no relief
> at all.

Yes, we in Florida are painfully aware of this situation.  A good
portion of our 175-mile circle covers water ... no matter where we put
it!  With 3 ARRL sections in Florida, that doesn't help either ... we
have members in all three sections.  I proposed something using Grid
Squares, but that didn't fly either.

If anyone can come up with a workable solution for EVERYONE ... I'm sure
we can arrange for you to become an "honorary Chad"!

Ron,  WD4AHZ