[CQ-Contest] Contests for newcomers - State QSO Parties are GREAT!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contests for newcomers - State QSO Parties are GREAT!
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Wed Mar 13 12:31:37 2002
WB0WAO asks what are the best contests for a beginner to get his feet wet?
Any contest is practice...as far as "Domestic" Contests, I would say the
biggest are

SS
NAQP
NAS

and, of course there is the

FLORIDA QSO PARTY!

Florida works the world and you work Florida - including mobile running
helter skelter through the 67 Florida Counties...

Check out the website at:

http://www.qsl.net/fqp

It is a little over a month until the next running of the FQP, and the
Florida Contest Group is determined to activate all 67 of Florida's counties
once again...chasing the mobiles is a blast - we even have a spot on the
website giving tentative routes for the mobiles in case you are looking for
a specific county!

There is a great cover story in NCJ this issue by K8MR talking about
mobiling in contests...like the Sweepstakes there's always the desire to
"Sweep" all of Florida's 67 counties so you have that to look forward to.
We have had submissions from all over the world including some large ones
from Europe...it is a state QSO Party run by contesters so it is "snappy"!

In case anyone was wondering, FQP2K2 is on April 27 & 28...making it only

45 days until the Florida QSO Party!

Yes I am tooting our horn - but I think it is deservedly so - our State QSO
continues to grow in popularity year after year because it is contester
based...and since we as the fixed and mobile Floridians are your target QSOs
we appreciate the rates you give us - especially us Mobiles who get the rush
when we cross a county line...mobiles can feel like the rarest DXCC entity
for those first few minutes after crossing a county line...its fun!

Check out the website, the Florida Contest Group invites you to play in our
sandbox next month....more details to follow on an e-mail reflector near
you!

73,

Jim, K4OJ
FQP Marketing