[CQ-Contest] More Good (customer relations) News, Bad News

Subject: [CQ-Contest] More Good (customer relations) News, Bad News
From: k7jj@arrl.net (Dave Earnest)
Date: Thu Mar 28 12:09:12 2002
FYI and for what it's worth department:

I am a little pistol using the Ameritron AL-811H amplifier. The power =
switch recently failed. This a little el-cheapo lighted rocker switch =
made by Carling and probably other manufacturers. I called Ameritron and =
talked to a tech support type. He stated he would mail me a new switch, =
but I would have to pay the $7.00 minimum plus UPS charges. He said the =
switch was less than 2 bux. What the heck I wanted to get back on the =
air. A week later UPS delivers a plain jane rocker switch, no light. =
This cost me just under $10.00 with the UPS fee. Called the tech support =
person back and he said no mistake, that is what they use now, probably =
because they could not get the lighted one anymore. I said something =
like, "unbelievable" and hung up.

The only indication you have that the amp is turned on are the meter =
lights, which failed awhile back, and the power switch.  I replaced the =
meter lamps with a higher quality lamp from the local surplus store.

The good news: A friend relayed to me that Astron, who uses the same =
identical switch, replaced his broken power supply switch free of =
charge, no questions asked. I called Astron. The only question the =
Astron parts lady asked was for my address. When I asked the charge, she =
said "none." Here is a company who likes to keep customers happy.

73,

Dave, K7JJ

David E. Earnest
http://www.qsl.net/k7jj