[CQ-Contest] Zero-beat (was: QRP)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Zero-beat (was: QRP)
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat Mar 30 17:27:55 2002
At 10:54 AM 3/29/02 -0500, Nat Heatwole wrote:
> > Ward, I have noticed this.  Perhaps it's just the fact that we work
>tons of
> > EU in DX contests here on the east coast and there's thus a noticeable
> > number of EU stations not zero beat.
>
>Gary,
>Your answer doesn't explain why a lot of Europeans tend to call *HIGHER*
>than zero beat, which was Ward's original observation. The fact that
>East Coast stations tend to work a lot of EU does explain why many East
>Coasters (as well as others) notice a large number of European off
>frequency callers, but it doesn't explain why more Europeans seem to
>call higher rather than lower.

I notice that on CW when I start hearing a lot of guys calling me offset in
one direction or the other, it is usually because the QRM is heavier on the
other side.  I usually operate LSB CW, which means that I am more likely to
get close to another running station that is down in both my carrier
rejection filter notch and near zero beat, where my audio response rolls
off.  But when I do that, it tends to lead to stations calling me lower in
frequency, not higher.

Maybe the calling stations are tending to put the QRM in their "carrier
notch", and if they are using USB CW then that would tend to make them call
on a higher frequency?  Just wondering out loud.