[CQ-Contest] Re: spotting statistics

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: spotting statistics
From: ns3t@arrl.net (Jamie Dupree)
Date: Sat Apr 13 20:44:21 2002
Jim -

Thanks for your note.

I should have been more clear in my original posting.  I opened the
discussion about self spotting, but then posted data on something else.
That was probably a mistake and has resulted in a bit of tempest. :-)

So here is the background that some have asked for...and I
am making NO judgment about these spots.  I simply thought
the raw numbers of spots were interesting, that's why I posted them
in the first place.

The reason I got into this is that during the ARRL contest, someone
spotted under my call.  A quick review showed that's happening more
than we would probably like to admit...but that is not what these
numbers are about.   These are raw numbers of what stations
spotted another station the most - that's all.
---

IR3P made 30 spots of FM5GU - IR3P made no other spots
in the contest.

S51QN made 28 spots of S58M - S51QN made only one
other spot in the contest.

CE4CVN made 28 spots of CB4A - CE4VCN made a total of
38 spots in the WPX.

OK1WWJ made 21 spots of OL5T - OK1WWJ made only
two other contest spots that weekend.

RK3QWA spotted 5B4/R3CC 21 times - RK3QWA made
112 spots in the WPX.

N2QER spotted NY6DX 13 times - N2QER made 33 total spots.

UR7IJQ spotted US7IGF 12 times - UR7IJQ made only
one other WPX contest spot.

PY2SBY spotted PU2WDX 11 times - PY2SBY made
a total of 28 spots in the contest.

KA6BIM spotted NR6O 10 times - as KA6BIM has pointed
out, he made many more overall spots, a total of 436,
making this a very small minority.

KC5JSO spotted T93M/HI9 10 times - KC5JSO made a
total of 19 WPX spots.

So there we go.  I am making no wild accusations here -
I'm just running numbers and looking for a discussion.
I'm not trying to discourage spotting or cast it in a negative
light.  I still plan to talk further about self spots.   But that
is later, not in the above numbers.

Jamie NS3T