[CQ-Contest] NIL on 40m SSB split

Subject: [CQ-Contest] NIL on 40m SSB split
From: 00tlzivney@bsu.edu (Zivney, Terry L.)
Date: Tue Apr 16 09:44:24 2002
Like many of you, I have been studying my UBN report
from the 2001 CQ WW SSB contest in order to see what
copying mistakes I had made.

My biggest surprise was that I lost 3 multipliers on
40 m ssb.  Now, I could easily understand thinking I
was working one station while actually working another
in the crowded 40m CW segment, but how in the world
does this happen when working split?  In each case,
I was transmitting up on the frequency requested by
the DX station calling CQ.  In each case, I am sure
I heard my call on the CQ frequency.  In each case,
I obviously copied a valid call on the CQ frequency,
because the three stations in question each made more
than 4,000 QSOs.  And, needless to say, each of these
stations had big signals so it seems unlikely there
was a second station CQing on the same frequency and
listening on the same split, given that most of the
time the standard CQ includes "listening on this
frequency and 72**."

What can I do to improve on this problem?

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9