[CQ-Contest] NIL on 40m SSB split

Subject: [CQ-Contest] NIL on 40m SSB split
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Wed Apr 17 22:58:13 2002
Two problems can occur in working split on 40 (even in just S&P operation).

1.  Timing of reply error.  Here a Dx station gives a report that you think
is for you but its for another station.

2.    The false duplicate contact.  This is a problem that occurs with the
Dx station but can occur with a W/VE running stations as well.    Often the
Dx station is listening on a frequency (say 7215) but at any given time
there are several others listening on or about the same frequency.   So you
give a report to say IK3XXX and he logs it correctly but HB9AAA also logs
the QSO thinking you are working him.  Later you call HB9AAA and he says
"work b4."

This just happened to me in my 1 hour run during the WPX SSB.  I spent 30
minutes S&Ping and 30 minutes running.  Toward the end of my S&P operation I
called a semi rare station and got "worked before."   At least I knew that I
was already in his log.  Now the problem for the serious competitor
is to correct this and get in the log properly.

Now how do you minimize these mistakes?    The best way is to say the Dx
stations call as you call him.   If the other DX station hears this he or
she will not log you by mistake.    Make sure the station repeats your call
or clearly gives your call.  If there is ANY uncertainty ask for a repeat
and confirmation!
In running make sure you say the stations call clearly (one rule is to stay
with the same phonetics yours and his!!!) so you get the correct station to
log you.  I hear Dxpeditions talking too fast or never completing the call
before QRZ and I can guess at the duplicates this causes.  One other rule is
to give your complete call.  I call this the N6RJ/HB9TL rule.  Let the Dx
ask for a couple of letters.

73 Dave K4JRB