[CQ-Contest] Are you a WPX Plaque Sponsor?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Are you a WPX Plaque Sponsor?
From: vr2bg@harts.org.hk (VR2BrettGraham)
Date: Fri Apr 19 05:32:44 2002
If dealing with the logs, putting together the results & getting out
certificates &
plaques is anything like QSLs, then I don't envy the lot of volunteers like
N8BJQ,
K4JRB, K3EST & Co, etc.

Sometimes I wonder how I include an SAE & IRC in my Cabrillo file in order to
help make getting the certificate back to me easier for these guys - or
what the
tag is for including a credit card number to pay for a plaque that the
original sponsor
may not have followed through with, or to pay for one if I may have
qualified for one
which had not been sponsored.

Sometimes I reckon there's simply more that the participants could be doing.
For example, what's a plaque cost - USD50?  That's less per day than it costs
to leave my motor at the airport when I fly to 9M6 for the weekend, let alone
the plane ticket itself.  Heck, I don't see much change out of USD50 driving
into town to collect QSLs from my PO box!

The certificates are often not such a big deal, as #1 HK is almost always a
given.
I do get a kick out of the ones that are endorsed as zone winner, #1 Asia, #5
world or the like... wish we could see more of that.  Awards help fuel activity
in the event, IMHO.  They are important, just like those pesky QSLs we get as
a result of operating in them.

I'm still shy of Real Contester status, so believe to date I've earned only
one Real
Contest plaque.  It is for WPX, but I'm patient.  Just like discussing
UBNs, these
guys are reasonable & I for one am willing to cut them some slack.

73, VR2BrettGraham