[CQ-Contest] NS3T's "witch-hunt"

Subject: [CQ-Contest] NS3T's "witch-hunt"
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Fri Apr 19 09:28:47 2002
On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 ki9a@aol.com wrote:

> #2 & #3,"unique" spots, inactive calls, blah,blah,blah.
>
> Is this really going to make or break contesting?
>
> DO THE RULES STATE YOU NEED TO USE YOUR OWN CALL TO PUT *INTERNET*, yes,
> INTERNET spots up??
>
> This thread needs to stop. BTW, I do not condone using "fake" calls for
> spotting, but, I'm sure there are better things to talk about than this BS.
>
> Again folks, you don't need to correctly ID on the internet spots, errr,
> maybe they changed the rules? Maybe I will spot guys during the next contest
> using the word MOE or CURLEY instead of my own call, I'm sure NS3T will drive
> himself nuts trying to figure if MOE is still active? ;-)
>
> 73-Chuck KI9A

What happened to SHEMP?  :-)

I agree; this whole thing is pretty much pointless.  No one is going to be
able to prove anything out of it; possibly some of the stations who in
fact did only spot one callsign once during the contest will be offended.
And what constitutes an "inactive station"?  Who decides that?  I would go
through the effort of contacting each and verifying he/she wasn't in the
contest and didn't spot anybody before making such a broad statement.  And
again, it's going to be difficult or impossible to determine and prove who
did make the spot if it was with a fake callsign.

I only made about 10 QSO's during WPX SSB because I lost my voice due to a
virus.  I didn't send in a log.  I may have spotted somene during that
time; does that make me a suspected villain? Does that make me an
"inactive station"?

Let's discuss something else.  Who's going to be in the TARA PSK Rumble
this weekend?

73, Zack W9SZ