[CQ-Contest] Consider This

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Consider This
From: ums@nconnect.net (Gary Sutcliffe)
Date: Wed Apr 24 08:06:21 2002
Radio contesting is unfair. Someone with better antennas, radios, location,
etc. will always have an advantage over an equivalent operator with a
lesser station.  That's life. Or, maybe it is just a natural part of a
competition that encourages innovation.

The one thing about SO2R is that just writing a check and adding SO2R
capabilities to  your station will not give you the automatic improvement
that other equipment upgrades would. You have to put the effort in to learn
to do it effectively. IMHO, SO2R is the major change in contesting that is
mostly based on operator skill.

I think we should applaud those who put the effort in to operate SO2R
effectively. We should also applaud those who work to improve other
contesting skills like pulling weak ones out of the noise, better typing
skills, better pileup techniques, better run skills, better S&P skills,
etc. I don't see a whole lot of difference.

73 - Gary, W9XT (whose limited moves into SO2R have probably cost more
QSO's than they gained :-)

Gary Sutcliffe, W9XT          Unified Microsystems
ums@nconnect.net              PO Box 133
http://www.QTH.com/w9xt       Slinger, WI 53086