[CQ-Contest] borrowed callsigns

Subject: [CQ-Contest] borrowed callsigns
From: k3ft@erols.com (Chuck K3FT)
Date: Sun Jun 9 17:50:41 2002
I know that ARRL HQ, many times, has permitted their call (W1AW) to be
used at various venues. Dayton, for example, operates W1AW/8 at their
site.  I know this was done because I visited Dayton and saw W1AW/8 being
operated. I also know that the ARRL had issued them a letter advising
that they had permission to do so AND the ARRL quoted an FCC part 97 rule
section which authorized it.

Our local ham club at Social Security Admin did the same thing. Had their
club/group callsign used at individuals homes as part of an event but
again.. they had authorization from the Club trustee to do it.

As far as I can understand it, in the case of an individual allowing his
call to be used by another when they aren't there.. this would seem to be
OK assuming the control op (the person in charge of the operation) is
adhering to the rules for being a control op and operations are within
the priveledges of the licensee acting as control op.  OF course.. if an
FCC cite makes it way to the holder of the callsign being used.. htey are
going to have to answer it since they are the one responsible for the
callsign. The control operator may have some culpability and may be
guilty of violating the rules and have some accountability, but the
callsign holder is the one who getsthe cite and has to answer it.

interesting thread

73

Chuck K3FT