[CQ-Contest] "please copy"

Subject: [CQ-Contest] "please copy"
From: n5nj@gte.net (Bob Naumann - N5NJ)
Date: Tue Jun 25 08:35:29 2002
I don't think that "forthright correcting" is what is needed.  A "kinder,
gentler" approach is what's needed.

Those of us who can operate, need to demonstrate the proper way to operate,
so that these newbies can learn from it and hopefully emulate what they've
seen.

It seems that many of them are intrigued by the process of running stations,
even on CW, when they may not be able to copy themselves.

Let's face it, when their shack is on their belt, they don't get any
experience or training on how to work stations quickly and efficiently.

A couple of years ago, I stopped by a local Field Day set up at a very
visible public park.  They were set up in a large pavilion with antennas
hanging all around.  There were large signs, lots of literature for visitors
to pick up, and people hanging around, ready to talk to visitors.   They had
two stations.  One was empty, the other was manned by one person, with a
crowd gathered around watching him.  I watched for about 15 minutes while he
tuned around and worked no one!  Do you think this was exciting to visitors?
I think not.  I didn't know any of these folks so I just left, but they
obviously had no clue what to do on the air.

We also need to remember that those we're working at the other end of the
path may be equally challenged and need encouragement, rather than
criticism.

73,
N5NJ
@ N5YA 3A NTX