[CQ-Contest] RTTY Rates

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RTTY Rates
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Tue Aug 6 14:33:27 2002
RTTY rates will never be higher than CW or SSB overall.  The point is
moot.  However, depending on the individual, RTTY rates can be higher
than in the other modes consistently.

For instance, my RTTY rates are always higher than my CW rates because
I've mastered SO2R on RTTY and not yet on CW even though I've
been CW contesting over 30 years.

The highest rate I've ever achieved as a single op on RTTY was 93 per hour.
I did this twice.  During the first hour of the 2001 RTTY Roundup and the
2nd hour of the 2001 CQWW RTTY contest.  Both were Low Power.  I've
never achieved this rate on CW, ever, high or low power even though I've
tried.  The problem with RTTY rates is that there are not as many RTTY
contesters as there are CW and SSB contesters.  However, the number of
RTTY contesters is rising after every contest.

73, Don AA5AU