[CQ-Contest] ts-850

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ts-850
From: k9mi@arrl.net (Michael Brown)
Date: Wed Aug 28 00:18:22 2002
Sean, although you may feel like you stepped=0D
backwards, you actually took a big step forward=0D
in comparing a 570 to an 850 as a contest rig. =0D
I've had both. To connect to a pc for rig control,=0D
there are several choices you can make. You=0D
can build your own, or guys like W1GEE sells=0D
them for about 40 bucks. Just do a search on=0D
W1GEE and it will show his site. Same thing=0D
goes for the cw keying. You can build a serial=0D
interface with directions that usually come with=0D
your logging software, or purchase interfaces=0D
such as sold on the TRLog web site made by=0D
W1WEF. There are 3 models that range from=0D
$25 or so to around $50. In an actual contest,=0D
I think you'll find the 850 is much better in =0D
handling the QRM then the 570. For CW use,=0D
I had 2 400 hz Inrad filters in mine, and it worked=0D
well. On the antenna part, I've never used =0D
seperate antennas for transmit and receive,=0D
so I'm not much help there, but I have seen the=0D
mod, so it can be done. Hang in there, because=0D
you DID make the right decision.=0D
=0D
73 - Mike K9MI=0D
=0D