[CQ-Contest] ts-850

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ts-850
From: n5nj@gte.net (Bob Naumann - N5NJ)
Date: Wed Aug 28 09:53:40 2002
Once you use your 850 in a contest, you'll wonder why you said what you said
here.  This is especially true if you install good filters in both IF's.

The receive antenna mod allows you to connect seperate receive antennas.
N3OC's (nee WA3WJD) mod is excellent to do this.  The single SO-239 is for
transmitting.  Use an external antena switch.

For computer interfacing, you need a Kenwood IF-232C level convertor or
equivalent to change from the TTL levels on the radio to RS-232.  Then, it's
equivalent to the 570 as far as computer control.

You can use a rig blaster with the 850 just like you would with the 570.  You
may want to consider using a simple LPT port or serial port interface for
sending CW.  They can be built for a few dollars, or you can buy them from many
sources - W1WEF makes an excellent one.

The 850 has less bells and whistles than the 570, but can out-perform it
easily.  Invest in some good filters for it.  If you close your eyes and
listen, you won't be able to tell you're not using one of the latest
multi-kilobuck radios.

73,
Bob N5NJ