[CQ-Contest] Re: ts-570

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: ts-570
From: andrew.faber@gte.net (Andy Faber)
Date: Thu Aug 29 09:07:56 2002
Dennis et al,
  My 2 cents worth on the 570:
   I have used a 570DG as a second rig for several years.  It has some great
features:  easy to use, light weight, dsp, etc.  It major shortcoming as a
contest radio is that the agc passband is much wider than the digital filter
passband, so that you can have a weak signal wiped out by adjacent strong
signals that you don't actually hear, but that are pumping the agc to
desensitize the receiver.  This is more of a problem on cw than on phone,
and is true even if you add the optional 500 Hz cw filter to the radio.  The
agc is not defeatable (although there is a web site by a Kenwood engineer
describing some hardware mods to do that).
  I once tried running sprint cw just using the 570, and vowed never again.
  73, andy, ae6y