[CQ-Contest] QRS & Newbies

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QRS & Newbies
From: w3uls@3n.net (John Rippey)
Date: Tue Nov 5 10:11:02 2002
I agree that newcomers need to be treated gently. I'm one myself. On the
other hand, it is sometimes too easy for a newbie to be discouraged.
Persistence, as it says in the Bible, pays off.

During SS, I started out Sat afternoon despairing of ever reading the calls
and exchanges because they were sent at way over my 10-15 wpm speed.
However, by that evening, either the senders had slowed somewhat or my
ability to read had improved.

In fact, I began to look on the contest as fast code practice. I would hear
a station and sit on its frequency as it exchanged with others. When I had
all of the info, or all but one of the exchange items, I would call--with
my hand key. Most ops realized that they were dealing with a
less-than-great fist, and responded accordingly. Over the few hours I
operated (after several hours of listening) I logged 15 QSOs. And I got all
of the info correct, I think.

So my advice to a newbie would be either to sit beside someone for a
while--but that can be daunting if the op is a 45-wpm type--or, better yet,
use the SS and such as an opportunity to try reading fast code. One
advantage of these CW contests is that the ops in the contest are almost to
a man (woman) first rate and it is a pleasure to listen to good code.

So newbies, do not be discouraged.

73,
John, W3ULS