[CQ-Contest] Unsportsmanlike?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Unsportsmanlike?
From: mwdink@eskimo.com (mwdink@eskimo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 5 07:49:25 2002
I find this debate interesting. I agree that slowing
down is important and the guy who said "go away" was rude.
Myself, I always tried to match the speed of my caller albeit
I probably could have gone even slower.

Then again, was the offended party really a contesting prospect?

I remember getting into CW contesting. High speeds were frustrating
to me as well. Yet, I WANTED to be a CW contester. I WANTED to be
part of (what I consider) an elite subsection of the hobby. I
knew that I had to pay my dues and gain experience. I even did
some of things mentioned on this thread (as we all have)

 1) copying data down BEFORE calling (and AFTER)
 2) sitting beside better CW ops with an extra pair of headphones

That's because I WANTED to be a CW contester.

Just two weeks ago, I did my first big SSB (CQWW) contest - those same
frustrations came over me again. I started all over the same way,
Listening to CQers over and over until I got the call and sitting
in with an experienced SSB operator to learn the ropes. I was contantly
shaking my head (how'd you get that call?). It's a whole new skill set
but I'm not throwing in the towel. (It's funny, I never see anybody
complain about SSB contest speed but they talk fast and not very clearly.)

Radio contesting is a unique sport. Not many sports let the newcomer
or even the casual player jump in with the big boys. We allow
competitors and non-competitors to play. We have casual's looking
for a new state/country, guys looking to win it all, and everything in
between. And then, on top of it, we want it to be fun and equal for
everybody. :>)  That's because we who love the sport want to spread the
excitement we feel.

Yes, we need new blood. Yes, we need to encourage sportmanship and
good behavior. But sometimes, we try to sell this sport to others
that it will just not EVER appeal too. Me, I will never golf. Can't
see any appeal in it. My friends tell me it's a great sport. I believe
them - it just doesn't strike my fancy.

I suggest that our friend who is putting the key away in it's box may
never have enjoyed CW contesting - even at 13WPM. Not everybody is a
CW contester. He may have just tried it and decided he didn't like it.
Fortunately, this is a hobby with many facets.

I hope he can find one he does enjoy.

73
dink