[CQ-Contest] Are contesters self-policing?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Are contesters self-policing?
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Sun Nov 17 13:39:10 2002
Dave,

You bring up an interesting dilemna.

First, yes, while amateurs are for the most part self-policing (can't wait
for my next Popkin-gram, I know a young stamp collector who loves his
envelopes), the alleged freeband activity is taking place outside of
allocated amateur frequencies.  So I'm not sure if we should be doing
anything about the actual FB operation itself, so long as it does not use
amateur call signs (and from what I saw on that web site, I don't think it
will).  And this is by no means meant to condone illegal operation!  But if
it's outside the ham bands, it's (to my thinking) outside of our
"jurisdiction."

Second, having said this, I am saddened that one or more of the amateurs is
involved in this type of operation.  And that the other operators are
condoning it (have to be since the equipment listed for the "sugar delta" op
is some of the same amateur gear for the CY0MM DXpedition).

Third, should the actual "sugar delta" part of the operation take place, the
operators will have (in my mind) placed themselves in a poor light with
Industry Canada, and by extension cast the same poor light on the rest of
us.  So we should make our displeasure with this part of the operation known
to the CY0MM folks to discourage future actions of this type -- but NOT on
the air.

Fourth, if this should jeopardize the CY0MM license, it may also jeopardize
the DXCC acceptance of that operation.  Another reason to make our
displeasure known.

Finally... if you hear them during the contest, work 'em.  If they get DQ'd
by the CQ WW committee over this, it will happen after the fact.  That will
be their problem, not ours.

73, ron wn3vaw

'If tin whistles are made of tin, what do they make fog horns out of?'
-- from "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavor on the Bedpost Overnight?"
Lonnie Donegan, SK, 4 November 2002