[CQ-Contest] Re: [ve3_contest] Are contesters self-policing?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: [ve3_contest] Are contesters self-policing?
From: VE2ZP@rac.ca (Dave)
Date: Sun Nov 17 15:25:51 2002
Tony:

You asked:

> Can someone explain to me what this SD stuff is?

As near I can figure, these are assumed call signs used by
unlicensed illegal "freeband" operators (those who operate
between the top of the 27MHz CB band and the bottom of 10
metres.

The first digits are a country number.  They use the ARRL
DXCC list, numbering the countries as they appear on that
list.  277 is Sable Island.

The "SD" (there are many other two-letter combinations)
refers to a particular club.  I don't know what, if anything
"SD" stands for.

The final digits are a serial number "identifying" the
individual operator or station.

This 277SD0 is a Sable Island operation by a member of the
"SD" club, and that operation is number "0."

This is just what I infer from my research since this matter
came to my attention yesterday.  I've never been involved in
this "freeband" stuff, or even CB radio, so I may be out of
my depth here.

Dave VE2ZP