[CQ-Contest] 80M DX window???

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 80M DX window???
From: luther@mail.mdt.net.au (Martin Luther)
Date: Thu Nov 21 01:18:55 2002
Leigh makes a very good point. Since we got the VK "window at 3794 to 3800 I
find it hard to make anything like a good number of Q's on 80.

It is really not fair to tie up this window with endless CQ's. I tried to
get it made a contest free zone here in VK because I knew what would happen.
However, that was not successful. Although I am sure those that hand out
numbers there would, in the main, scream like stuck pigs if I were to really
set the CQ machine going there and monopolise it.

I do, now, reply there to others CQ's and that's how I get a few mults. It
is really not suitable as a contesting spot. Too much QRM from others
wanting to use it.

However, I used to be able to CQ on 3695+ - and get a pile up going further
up the band. No longer. Even many of the big multi stations require a nudge
on 40 to listen down for me when they say they still need a mult on 80.

A number of times in recent contests I have run the CQ machine on 3695
listening up while I s&p on 20/40 with the  other radio. So little return
that it is not worthwhile.

There are regular VK's in the DX window and the US stations get the mult and
then don't bother any longer. I can hear them Cqing away on 375/6/7/ and no
reply when they could be working at least a few of us on 3695.

It may improve when the sunspots means that Q's on 80 get more important in
the overall scheme of things.

Now if I could just get the Europeans to listen up on 40 around 2100z we
might get somewhere really interesting Hi Hi.

Martin VK5GN
Luther@mail.mdt.net.au