[CQ-Contest] CQWW - are signal reports optional?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWW - are signal reports optional?
From: n5nj@gte.net (Bob Naumann - N5NJ)
Date: Tue Nov 26 05:31:12 2002
> all that needs to be correctly copied is your callsign (and the cluster
probably already gave them that).   The notion that contesting is a test of
operator copying skill is as transparent as the emperors new clothes.

> ô¿ô  73, de Hans, K0HB

Emporor's New Clothes (ENC)?  My all-time favorite analogy for
"Dilbert-esque" executive directives.  However, there is no such directive,
nor is anyone trying to lead us astray.

Contesting IS a test of operator copying skill.

How can I make that assertion?  Because the evaluation of performance is
whether it's correct or not in the log.

The debate over what tools the operator should use in copying is a different
discussion.  If the operator does not use the tools available to him
properly, he may log the information incorrectly.

Just plain old making a mistake without any outside influence actually
occurs.  This phenomena leads to errors in the log.

Using what is posted on packet without confirmation is poor operating -
plain and simple.  Using what the operator determines from using
SuperCheckPartial without confirming it - is again, poor operating.  Both of
these lead to errors in the log.

You'd be amazed at how many errors actually occur in just the callsigns.
Most Uniques are believed to be errors in copying rather than true Unique
callsigns.  (Most - not all!)

Before we seek to make it more of a test, we collectively need to recognize
that we all have not even come close to mastering the "test" at this level.

N5NJ