[CQ-Contest] Short contest calls.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Short contest calls.
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Sun Dec 1 00:19:08 2002
It never "slipped by the FCC" since assignment of the 1x1 calls has been
delegated to Special Event Call Sign Database Administrators (see
http://ncvec.spindle.net/index.htm).

Of special note is this from one of the FAQ pages:
"A special event operation usually commemorates an event which is publicly
significant. Ideally, this is a one time, non-recurring celebration,
festival, anniversary, holiday, convention, dedication, public demonstration
and the like. Special event call signs may not be requested just so that you
will be able to have a short call sign during an upcoming amateur radio
operating event or contest. A special event call sign coordinator may
determine that your planned special event operation is not in keeping with
the intent of the Special Event Call Sign System. Coordinators have wide
latitude in the acceptance, rejection or cancellation of 1x1 call sign
reservations. "

So... if the K2G operators applied for a 1x1 with the intention of using a
short call in the contest as their primary objective (and that's a big "IF"
folks, I don't know, I'm just supposing here), it not only backfired on them
due to the number of stations who passed on working them assuming it was a
run-of-the-mill Continental US station, but it was also in violation of the
spirit (if not the letter) of the FCC rules involving Special Calls.

73, ron wn3vaw

What would the world be like if Gary Kildall hadn't gone hang gliding?