[CQ-Contest] Re: Short contest calls.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Short contest calls.
From: k1ttt@arrl.net (David Robbins)
Date: Sun Dec 1 14:27:47 2002
Ah, but you see, Hawaii is part of the United States, so it is not
necessary for us to identify like we are in another country.  The FCC
removed the requirement for portable designations on callsigns many
years ago.  It is only the great wisdom of the ARRL DXCC list that makes
Hawaii a 'country', not FCC or international regulations.

The problem with logging is that if someone does that and it is not in
the cty.dat file it will score incorrectly.  Adding /kh6 makes it
obvious for software scoring and less confusing for operators.

There is also the opposite problem, there is a kl7?? Operator who is in
w3 somewhere.  It is not require that he sign /w3 or any other
designator to show that he is not in Alaska.  This confuses logging
programs also and makes for lots of disappointed ops on 160m on the east
coast who don't know he is in w3.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net