[CQ-Contest] ARRL section checking in Cabrillo

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL section checking in Cabrillo
From: trey@kkn.net (Trey Garlough)
Date: Thu Dec 19 14:33:37 2002
On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 07:46:08AM -0800, Jim Reisert wrote:
> I'm tired of seeing all the speculation on the contest and Writelog
> reflectors about log checking as it pertains to ARRL sections.
>
> [additional excellent comments by AD1C omitted]
>
> Is it time for someone to make a DEFINITIVE statement how this
> works, and put this issue to bed?

OK, here is a DEFINITIVE statement about Cabrillo logs.

ATTENTION: these comments do *not* apply to what you send on the air,
nor to your personal log (computerized or otherwise), nor to the notes
you keep for yourself.  These comments apply *only* to the CABRILLO
log you submit as a contest participant.

In any circumatance where an ARRL section is indicated, such as in the
summary sheet portion of your CABRILLO file (the ARRL-SECTION: line),
or in QSO data in your CABRILLO file (for instance, the QSO: lines in
a Sweepstakes log), you *must* use the official section abbreviation
listed at

        http://www.arrl.org/contests/sections.abv.html

This issue is "multiple choice", not "fill in the blank".  There are
80 choices.  Period.  To use a section abbreviation other than one of
the 80 valid choices WITHIN YOUR CABRILLO LOG puts yourself at
unnecessary risk, and unnecessarily subjects you to the judgment (and
competence!) of the contest administrators and the programmers that
support them.

None of this applies to old style .sum, .prn, .all, log.dat nor paper
printouts, nor to any kind of master logging program or whatever you
keep for your own personal purposes or records.  This is only
applicable to the CABRILLO log that gets submitted to the contest
email robot.

These are the facts and they are not in dispute.  This has been a
DEFINITIVE statement.  Thank you.

I will post some personal commentary on the issue in a seperate
message.

--Trey, N5KO