[CQ-Contest] ARRL 10M packet rules

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL 10M packet rules
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Thu Dec 19 18:14:33 2002
A friend mentioned to me that there's no Assisted category in the ARRL 10M
CW-only and SSB-Only categories. The rules at arrl.org are confusing and
could be interpreted this way. Section 3.1 covers all the single-op modes
and doesn't mention packet. Section 3.2 is titled "3.2. Multioperator,
Single Transmitter, mixed mode (only)". This is followed by "3.2.1. Includes
single operators using packet or spotting assistance." The word "only" in
the title of 3.1 could be interpreted to mean that 3.2.1 applies only to
single-ops in the mixed-mode category and not the single-mode categories. In
other words, it could be interpreted to mean packet is legal for single-ops
in the single-mode categories! I have a hard time believing this is true.
Don't they mean to say that any use of packet reclassifies a single-op as
M/S mixed-mode, regardless of whether the mode is CW-only, SSB-only or
mixed? If that's the case, the wording needs to be clearer.

Confused.

73, Dick WC1M