[CQ-Contest] QSO Party participation

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QSO Party participation
From: jjreisert@alum.mit.edu (Jim Reisert AD1C)
Date: Fri Jan 3 19:57:33 2003
At 02:34 PM 1/3/2003 -0800, Sean Fleming K8KHZ wrote:

>I notice that most every state has thier own QSO party sposored by some
>club within the state. why is it not a good idea not to have an additional
>QSO party within the same state at a different part of the year?

Hi Sean,

IMO, there are already plenty of contests.  The state QSO parties that do
well -- CA, FL and PA to name just a few -- spend the better part of the
year putting their event together, publicizing it, checking logs, etc.  It
takes a number of committed stations -- mobile, portable and fixed -- to
create enough in-state activity to make the contest attractive for
out-of-state stations.  I doubt you could do two sub-state QSO parties very
well.

New York (state) does not have a QSO party but I believe that the Northern
NY section does (or used to).  I've never heard enough activity to get
interested in it.

None of the W1 states could get sufficient activity going individually, but
when combined into the 1st Annual New England QSO Party last May, there was
quite a bit of activity, and one station (N4PN I believe) even managed to
work all 67 New England counties.  Ask Tom K1KI how many hours he and
others put into this.  It was NOT a trivial amount.

73 - Jim AD1C

p.s. there are links to every state QSO party I could find at:

     http://www.yccc.org/Links/Rules.htm#State

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC