[CQ-Contest] Old topic - New Wrinkle

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Old topic - New Wrinkle
From: k8khz@yahoo.com (Sean Fleming)
Date: Wed Jan 22 20:10:20 2003
I seem to have the first person who started this treads line of thought. I
personally know for a fact that I will never will a contest from my small
station of 100 Watts and wires unless I enter a category that is single op.
Then I have to be there all contest long of course like I am always am unless I
am sick(HIHI). And then you have to also have no distractions for xyl or
family. You have to be able to maybe get into a smaller contest to win or hope
that other guest ops that dont frequent larger stations in the area are on in
your catagory.

Here is a great example. I am on CQ WPX at my station as sigle op with G5RV
100W. station X with guest op who at home has same setup as mine goes to to
station X for advantage of bigger antennas goes there to operate. He uses 5x5x5
on 10M and whips me all day long while in the same catagory at someone elses
station. Now becuase I am not using someone elses station using thier humongus
station I am left in the dust making 1/3 or the QSO's becuase of the antenna
disadvantage.

What this tells me is, hey note to self call up friend with large antenna and
go there to operate or go to club multi op station.

I am certain that nobody can deny the fact they go to guest op for that same
reason to win and also operate and that persons station. If they don't then
they are kidding themselves. Question about it is , is about if it is fair to
group them together with the same people  who opted to stay at home? Maybe
instead there should be classification of antenna type instead of where the op
is contesting from.

check out my website @ http://www.k8khz.com

You can reach me mobile on the Echolink callsign W8OAK.

Add me to your instant messenger AIM, Yahoo, ICQ. USER Name K8KHZ.