[CQ-Contest] So2R

Subject: [CQ-Contest] So2R
From: k0hb@earthlink.net (KØHB)
Date: Sat Jan 25 16:18:28 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>

> SO2R ops win not because they have an unfair advantage, it's because they
> have taught themselves to be better operators. We should celebrate that, not
> try to take it away like some communist regime intent on creating equal
> suffering for all.

In Kurt Vonneguts' short story "Harrison Bergeron" there is an envious
character, Diana Moon Glompers, a sixty-year-old virgin who, by almost anybody's
standards, was too dumb to live.  She holds the position of "Handicapper
General" at the top of the society, and she wanted to keep that position, but
was threatened by the fact that Harrison Bergeron had capabilities beyond that
of the rest of that homogenized and "equalized" society.

So he was killed. Similarly many contesters would also reduce RadioSport to
"equality" by leveling the playing field to exclude the "advantages" of any new
skill set.

73, de Hans, K0HB
SO1.5R